Monday, January 31, 2011

Black and White and Read All Over

A practice that Brad and I started up just before this Christmas is wrapping our presents with newspaper.  We've thought about it before and done it sometimes, but now we are committed.  The main purpose is to give the newspaper another purpose before getting tossed in the recycling bin, but an often overlooked advantage is that it's free!  My favourite is to match the newspaper article on the paper to the person I am giving the gift to.  Here's an example.

Present for a friend's bachelorette party, hence the wedding ad.

As you can see there, the gift can still be dressed up with ribbon, bows, etc.  I like to use twine and natural elements.  Another idea is to use the "fun" sections of the paper such as the comics or the crossword.  The only thing to be careful of is the black ink left all over your hands.  Newspaper is thick, tough, folds well, eco-friendly, and my wrapping paper of choice.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I actually remember doing this when we were young, getting the comics was a special treat! I like the idea of matching the article to the person. That is cool! For me though it wouldn't be free or recycling as I don't buy the paper to start with! heehee. Maybe I should read it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning on doing this with paper bags from the store. I think I'll let my 1 year old daughter color on them beforehand too :)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete